- Find greens that are free of discoloration and are crisp. Iceberg lettuce and cabbage should be firm and solid.
- Wash greens with cool water thoroughly, pat dry with a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Store greens in a covered container or plastic bag. Place a paper towel at the bottom of bowl to adsorb moisture.
- For iceberg lettuce, remove the core with a paring knife. Or grasp the head and firmly hit the core against the counter and lift out the core. Rinse with the head under running water with the core side down.
- Refrigerate greens at least 1 hour prior to serving. This ensures the greens crispness. Allow greens to set no longer than 15 minutes prior to serving.
- Don’t use a knife, use your hands! Lettuce should be torn and not cut. Cutting with a knife can turn the edges brown. Tear into bite sizes pieces just before serving.
- Toss greens with desired dressing and serve immediately or serve dressing on the side. Be careful no to add too much dressing because it will make the salad soggy.
Pasta, rice and vegetable salads should be chilled for a couple hours to allow all the flavors to blend together.